Module Reflection

This module was made up of 2 assignments, both of which I found really helped me grow as a creator and find direction in terms of placement.

Our main assignment this semester was our Placement Light/ Studio Client Project, and for this I was put with the BBC working on a VR project of Newsline. This project taught me a lot and gave me a good sense of what it is like working in the industry and collaborating with different departments, some of which have no understanding of our side of the industry. This assignment was also a group project, and I found it really beneficial being able to work with people I know as well as a company rather than jumping headfirst in to possibly working at a company with no one else I know.

As well as this, I found that this project really helped nail down the importance of project management and communication, as we had a client whose end goal we had to very much keep in mind. I did however find myself struggling as I felt that, although they told us to do what we wanted, there was a lack of creative freedom for myself and my team mates as we had to stick to quite a serious topic and fit it within the BBC’s taste and decency guidelines.

The other project we had this semester was our personal project, for which I decided to model an environment. I realised quite late on that my original plan for this project was unrealistic and would only have been possible if I had nailed my concept down tighter, but unfortunately, I neglected this project. I then decided it would be best to focus on a tangible building, and changed it to the Sunflower and am very happy with how this turned out in the end.

Overall, I really enjoyed this module, and I am really happy with the work I’ve produced this semester and I’ve felt that this moduel has helped me grow and become more ready for placement this coming year.


Sunflower Public House

I finally finished my model of the Sunflower, and am really happy with how it turned out, and very glad that I changed my plan in the end. I feel that this was definitely a lot more manageable, and feel that I made the best decision.

I do, however, wish that I had given myself enough time to texture it fully and to add the detail work in the bricks on the upper floors and the cement texture on the lower walls. I may come back to this in the future to add those details

Details for the Sunflower

Today I went round to the Sunflower to take some pictures of the details so I have a better idea of what I have to model.

The main models other than the building that I’ll need are the cage at the doorway, the security cameras, the air conditioning units, the signs, the cigarette bins and the lamppost.

Change of Scene

After changing aspects of my scene over and over, I decided it would be best for my project to pick a different environment to model, something more tangible and which I wouldn’t be tempted to change. This was when I came across the work of Joshua Smith and Satoshi Araki, who both create stunningly detailed scale models of urban buildings.

Seeing these models and how they were lit made me want to model a building which actually exists, much like both of these artists as it means that I’ll be able to focus on detail work rather than changing details. This along with the current Save Cathedral Quarter campaign made me take a look around myself and I decided to model the Sunflower Bar on Union Street.


This building’s design is gorgeous, and the fact it’s alone against more modern buildings just adds to it’s unique design. I also really like the parts which add character to this building, like the air conditioning unit and the cage at the door. Although I was really enjoying my previous concept, I am really excited to move on and get in to these models! I plan to continue with my old concept to boost my portfolio going in to placement.