Progression of my Final Sculpt

After going back and rewatching tutorials and speed sculpts by industry professionals, I found I was much more prepared to start over on my dryad sculpt.

I was able to block out the shape I want for the head fairly easily using a default wax sphere, and then create the neck for my sculpt by inserting a cylinder and using the move tool. After doing some research to help me better understand Danny Mac’s tutorials, I was able to figure out how to use the subtool menu to separate my geometry as prevent them affecting each other. This came in incredibly handy throughout the process. After I got the neck somewhere I was happy with, I went back to reshape the face, making her jaw less pointed as I felt it would make my sculpt seem more balanced.

I then began to block out the features on the face, carving out where the eye sockets would be and adding cheekbones to get a rough idea of what her bone structure is like beneath her muscles and skin. I then began to work on her nose, figuring out the proportions of this in relation to the rest of her face and where her eyes would be.

Then I went on to add more details to the nose and begin working on the lips. This was the part of the sculpt which I found the most difficult. Lips to me are one of the most difficult aspects of drawing a character normally, and this only became more challenging in 3D. i found it difficult to create the detail needed in the lips without it affecting the nose or chin.

After getting to a point I was happy with with the lips and nose, I felt that the face shape needed to be adjusted slightly to accommodate for the newly added features. I then went on to add more detail to the neck area, adding slight collar bones and hinting at the sternocleidomastoid muscle. I think that adding these subtle feature to the neck really helped to make it more believable.

I then went on to try and sculpt the eyes. On the left you can see where I tried to follow Danny Mac’s method with the eyelids, but unfortunately this wasn’t working well with my the mesh, and so I decided to manipulate the face mesh to create eyelides instead. This method definitely had smoother results for my model but it did mean that I had a hard time creating detail in the crease of the lid without the brow bone losing definition.

The next step was to model ears for my dryad. For this I focused mainly on the side view of sculpt and then rotated it after so that they were visible from the front. I found sculpting the ears to be much easier than it was last year when I was modelling them in Maya. This process was actually one of the most enjoyable parts of the sculpt for me!

I then went back and redid the eyes for my sculpt to try and make them more detailed. I think that helped to make her more believable anatomically as before her eyes were angled strangely on her face.

After I was finally happy with the head/ face of my sculpt I began the part I was most excited for; the helmet. For the helmet I inserted a basic sphere mesh and moved it so that it fit around the skull. I then began to pull out parts of the mesh to create the ridge details I wanted to use to show that it was wooden. The last two images above are of one of my favourite points in the sculpt, I think that the helmet although simplistic looked really nice at this point; however, it did not look like it was wooden and so I began to work more on this.

The first step I took towards making the helmet look more wooden was to add the branch horns to it, I found this bit quite difficult because I love how it looks from the front, but from the side the model looks slightly unbalanced – it feels as though the horns should be further forward on the head. This was the point where I first got feedback on my sculpt. I was advised by friends to add more detail to the front of the helmet around the bridge of the nose and to repostition the nose and mouth.

I took on board the advice I had gotten from Lorna and Erinn and added more details, however I think at this point the helmet began to look a little too busy, so I asked for feedback once again. My friends suggested making the helmet slightly less symmetrical because it looks too perfectly formed to be seen as being wooden.

I moved about some of the topology in order to get a more asymmetrical look and was really happy with how this turned out. Although I am really happy with the detail and look of this sculpt I know it is way too high poly to animate with and so will need to be re-topologised.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s