Today I got to talk to Greg a bit about how I got on in my interview last week. The first piece of advice he gave me way that I come across as very nervous and need to be more succinct with my answers to questions rather than rambling to fill the silence. He suggested that I have a page on my site I could talk people through to help tell them a bit about myself as this may help me be less nervous.
Then he gave me some really helpful feedback on the work which I brought with me to the interview:
- Move education above work experience: although experience usually trumps education, I have not yet done work which is relevant to the field.
- Quantify the experience I have with software rather than just listing it.
- Get rid of branding; it takes up too much room.
- Remove Piranha Bar’s address/ replace with my own as it is currently confusing
- I have researched the company well and worded things nicely, move this paragraph to the beginning of the letter.
- Make everything bigger.
- Change contact form so it is only asking for name, email, and message: Anything more will put people off
- Make external links more obvious
- Turnarounds need to be brighter
- Animate with straight tangents: the ease in/ out doesn’t do anything for models and makes it seem amateurish