Modelling and UV Mapping

Pews & Kneelers

The first of my models I approached was the pews and kneelers. I looked at photos of these from different churches to try and get an idea of what designs were like. Researching this was when I first realised.. we hadn’t discussed what kind of church we were going for. I think we all just presumed Catholic, so we went with that..

https://sketchfab.com/models/8db64b8b87db4e2281e28c02aa9ee2dc/embed?camera=0

koivi-tasker-sanctuary1

I then looked at other artists work for references of how they had approached modelling pews. There wasn’t much to be found but I liked the simplicity of Koivi Tasker‘s photorealistic, low-poly models, but thought that if I were to do something as simplistic as this I would need something to add to it in order to make it more interesting without textures.

When it came to modelling my assets I knew I wanted to keep them as low poly as possible, but also wanted them  to be interesting. I think that the pews turned out surprisingly well, but UV mapping them was definitely a challenge.

Candlesticks

When I first approached this asset, I began to look at reference photos of candlesticks from churches. I found there was a lot of variation between them and personally preferred the more simplistic, blocky style of candlesticks.

I then looked at ArtStation and SketchFab for reference models to see how other people had approached their candlestick models. I thought that the one by Laith Ahmad was most fitting for our scene. I loved the simplicity of Katherina Walpuski’s model and think that something similar

When it came to modelling the candlestick for myself I knew I wanted a model which was more angular rather than smooth and cylindrical. I had found these designs more interesting during my research and so I began to model from a cube,

Baptism Font

I began by looking at reference photos (and drawings) of baptism fonts. I love the variation in designs for baptism fonts,  from the complex, stunning designs found in cathedrals to the more simplistic and humble designs of those found in local churches.

https://sketchfab.com/models/819cafd1e72a4833b491f2650e3b4222/embed
https://sketchfab.com/models/da8cf68b001349ddb7344e97c839b455/embed

I then looked on SketchFab to find similar models by other artists so that I could see how they approached it. These models are much more detailed than I felt that I personally would be capable of and so when it came to modelling I relied much more heavily on the photo references which I had found.
font-1-attempt

I then modelled my own baptism font. Unfortunately I don’t have any process photos of this but because of problems in the mesh which you can see above and realising how much of a nightmare it would be to UV map this from an octagonal base, I restarted.

This time I started from a cuboid base and modelled the main shape I wanted for the font. Once I was happy with this, I mapped it and then bevelled the edges to achieve the final result you see above.

Stations of the Cross

Again, I looked at pictures for reference before beginning to model. The range of styles for these frames was incredibly, from incredibly simple like in the last image to ridiculously grand like those below, I found this interesting but thought that more simplistic designs would work for our church, especially as I didn’t want to draw focus away from the other more detailed assets within our scene.

This site was particularly helpful when researching different types of frames for the tations of the cross. These frames are particularly elaborate and I think that something more simplistic for our scene.

Even though I decided to keep it simple with the frames, I struggled a surprising amount when it came to UV mapping them as I was unsure where to begin with it. However I am happy with the end result I achieved.

Votive Candle Racks

For this I mainly used photo references as there was an extreme lack of any sort of 3D models similar to what I was planning on doing.

The last of my models was the votive candle racks, which I felt were an important part of the scene. Considering the simplicity of my other models I wanted these to be relatively simple too, especially as I had to remodel these after a file got corrupted. I think that they turned out okay, but UV mapping this was exhausting.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s